Department of Crop Production and Extension
The Department of Crop Production and Extension is one of the most important and very technical departments of the Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation and it is committed to promoting sustainable Crop Production through adaptation of innovative crop farming technologies, innovation and reduced the environmental negative impacts. We dedicate inclusive and sustainable policies, legislation and programs.
Mr. Abdi Rashid Mohamed Kasim
Director of Department
We the Department of Crop Production and Extension commit to be a center of agriculture knowledge that meet the needs of farming communities both in small and large scales in order to improve food security and livelihoods for all Somali society.
The Department aims to promote through empowering human resource, agricultural production and productivity, improve infrastructures and creating well- organized market network.
The Department of Crop Production and Extension is committed to promoting sustainable Crop Production through adaptation of innovative crop farming technologies/innovation and reduced the environmental negative impacts. We dedicate inclusive and sustainable policies, legislation and programs.
- Playing a strong key and crucial role in technology transfer to agriculture sector in Somalia.
- Identification, development and application of modern technologies leading to improved production of safe and nutritious foods.
- Collaborate with national and international stakeholders to address bottlenecks issues in crop production, such as climate change, market access, and food safety.
- Promote sustainable crop production through development of educational materials, demonstration plots and farm field schools approaches.
- Develop drought and disease resistant varieties.
- Providing technical assistance, advisory services and improved farm inputs to the producers.
- Carryout outreach activities to raise public awareness on the importance of sustainable crop production and its role in promoting economic development and environmental sustainability.
- Organizing and conducting training programs and workshops for farmers and extension workers on various crop production techniques, including the use of new technologies and innovative approaches.
- Coordinate the implementation of food security related data at the federal and state levels. Monitor and record all food items imported and exported to the country from entry points mainly sea ports but also airports and borders enter gates.
- Enhance harvest and post-harvest management by improving improved storage and processing facilities.
- To improve income and employment among farmers by promoting horticultural crops gain more income.