Mandate and Functions
The MOA has the mandate of overall management of agriculture development and resources for sustainable food security, reduction of poverty and improved livelihood for the Somali people. It is also mandated to establish an enabling environment that will encourage, facilitate and promote agriculture, value-addition, and agriculture business opportunities.
For the recovery of the agriculture sector, the MOA&I will need to focus on the following functions :
- Rebuilding the MOA&I Offices
- Improving and rehabilitating agricultural infrastructure
- Increasing local agricultural production
- Strengthening resource mobilization capacity of the ministry.
Once the above is achieved, the Ministry can refocus on its traditional functions as enumerated below:
- Formulate, implement and monitor agricultural policies, legislation, and regulations.
- Establish an enabling policy environment that will encourage, facilitate and promote agriculture value-addition, and agriculture business opportunities.
- Provide and scale up agricultural research and extension services.
- Develop, implement and coordinate initiatives in the agricultural sector.
- Regulate and control the quality of inputs, produce and products from the sector
- Manage and control pests and diseases in crops.
- Together with other partners, promote management and conservation of the natural resource base for agriculture development.
Collect, maintain and manage information on the agricultural sector.