The Director, Food Safety and Plant Protection is the functional Head of the Department. He is responsible for the overall technical, administrative and financial management of the Department. The incumbent is a career senior civil servant appointed through a competitive process and is responsible for providing leadership and vision for achieving goals of the Department. He will be responsible for providing technical and professional support to the Director General
- Ensure that supply of agricultural products is safe.
- Participate in standards setting, compliance with international quality and trade requirements, as well as certification issues of the sector
- Coordinating Plant Protection by spearheading the control and management of the crop pests and diseases
- To control migratory pests like locust, armyworm etc.
- Provide effective leadership, enabling the Department to improve performance of its functions and achieve set results
Provide accurate and timely reporting on progress of implementation of Plant Protection Law, policies, strategies and programs